Christianity and Islam
Christians should "think through" Islam in four ways, Mark Swanson has urged: "to think about things 'by means of' Islam; to get Islam straight in their own thinking; rigorously to interrogate and be interrogated by Islam; and to bear witness to Muslims in mutual engagement."
Our contributors explore how similar are Muslim notions of God, peace, justice, and modesty to their Christian counterparts. They ask how, in a world polarized by Western visions of empire and Islamic revivalism, we can live and communicate the Gospel over the din of politics and culture.
For instance, as we read Scripture with Jewish and Muslim friends, Kristen Lindbeck writes, we not only learn "about" but also learn "from" these Abrahamic traditions. We may broach even the hard issues among these faiths in an atmosphere of friendship, humility, and mutual respect.
The study guides and lesson plans integrate Bible study, prayer, and worship to help us explore fruitful new avenues of engagement between Christianity and Islam. The guides can be used in a series or individually. You may download and reproduce them for personal or group use.
- "No God but God," by A. Christian van Gorder
- "How Muslims See Us," by Donald Wagner
- "Wise Foreign Relations," by Charles Strohmer
- "Peace and Justice in the Qur'an," by Mustansir Mir
- "Reading Together," by Kristen Lindbeck
- "Beyond the Veil," by Evelyne A. Reisacher
- "Christian Dialogue with Islamic Art," by Heidi J. Hornik
Hymn and Worship Service
- "Hear the Prophet Speak of Water" by Terry W. York and C. David Bolin
- Worship Service by Karen Thomas Smith
- "Questions Rooted in Faith and History," by Kurt J. Werthmuller
- Rollin Armour, Islam, Christianity, and the West: A Troubled History
- Gary Burge, Whose Land? Whose Promise? What Christians Are Not Being Told About Israel and the Palestinians
- "First Steps in Understanding," by Dale F. Walker
- John Esposito Islam: The Straight Path
- Ronald E. Miller, Their Faith and Feeling: An Introduction to Islam
- Sayyed Hossein Nasr, Islam: Religion, History, and Civilization
Study Guides and Lesson Plans (Download the set of six Study Guides)
- "No God But God"
- "How Muslims See Us"
- "Wise Foreign Relations"
- "Reading Together"
- "Peace and Justice in the Qur'an"
- "Beyond the Veil"
- "Islam in Apocalyptic Perspective" by Thomas S. Kidd (Apocalyptic Vision)