Singing Our Lives
When we come before God in worship, why do we sing rather than merely think or talk with one another? Our contributors explore how singing can lift our hearts to adore God, awaken us to confess the disorder in our lives, and inspire us to good work that speaks God's transforming love into the hurting world.
Michael Morgan explores "the sacramental nature" of the Psalter, its "ability to mold and transform the believer." Mark Hill, Mary Louise Bringle, and Kyle Matthews contribute new songs and demystify the art of hymn writing. David Bolin shows how congregations can develop a unique corporate voice through the disciplines of hearing, joining, sounding, remembering, and coaching.
Prophetic music - songs that raise our critical awareness of the needs of the world and call us to responsible action - occurs outside church walls as well as in our worship. Steven Harmon looks at the prophetic lyrics of U2, perhaps the most successful rock band in the world.
The study guides and lesson plans integrate Bible study, prayer, and worship to help us explore the practice of singing our lives together before God. The guides can be used in a series or individually. You may download and reproduce them for personal or group use.
- "Why We Sing," by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette
- "Singing with the Psalter," by Michael Morgan
- "Prophetic Music," by J. Nathan Corbitt
- "Nurturing the Congregation's Voice," by C. David Bolin
- "U2: Unexpected Prophets," by Steven R. Harmon
- "Make a Joyful Noise," by Heidi J. Hornik, on Laura James's Psalm 100
- "Exhuberant Praise," by Heidi J. Hornik, on Luca della Robbia's Cantoria and Donatello's Cantoria
Hymns and Worship Service
- "Fill This Holy Place with Music," by Mark Hill
- "We Sing!" by Mary Louise Bringle and Jane Marshall
- "Hear Our Hearts, O Lord," by Kyle Matthews
- Worship Service, by Robert B. Kruschwitz
- "Music as a Spiritual Practice," by Mark J. Suderman
- Alice Parker, Melodious Accord: Good Singing in Church
- J. Nathan Corbitt, The Sound of the Harvest: Music's Mission in Church and Culture
- Charlotte Y. Kroeker, ed., Music in Christian Worship: At the Service of the Liturgy