Overt sexual imagery saturates our culture. When this imagery is calculated to arouse sexual desires that are inappropriate to a faithful Christian life, and when it distorts the dignity of men's and women's bodies, we call it "pornographic."
Our contributors remind us that pornography's influence is spreading through our culture in subtle and complicated ways. They invite us to appreciate how true sexual intimacy goes to the heart of God's character and intention for us. If our thinking has been marred by the culture's constant flow of unhealthy messages, here we'll find sage advice dispensed with great compassion.
The study guides and lesson plans integrate Bible study, prayer, and worship to help us engage the pornographic culture with Christ-transformed minds. The guides can be used in a series or individually. You may download and reproduce them for personal or group use.
- "Sex and the City (of God)," by Todd L. Lake
- "Turning Dimes into Dollars," by Rick Martinez
- "Simpletons, Fools, and Mockers," by Jonathan R. Wilson
- "Habit's Harsh Bondage," by Thomas D. Kennedy
- "Erotic, but not Pornographic," by John Peck
- "Reeducating Our Desires," by Susan Dolan-Henderson
- "Susanna's Strength," by Heidi J. Hornik, on Gentileschi's Susanna and the Elders
- "Isolation," by Heidi J. Hornik, on Toulouse-Lautrec's At the Moulin Rouge
- "Just Watching," by Heidi J. Hornik, on Manet's Nana
Hymn and Worship Service
- "Song Sung Blue?," by Laura Singleton
- "Body Worship," by Robert and Mary Darden
- "Avoiding the Mess in Mass Media," by Carl F. Hoover
- Other Voices, Quotations on the Pornographic Culture
- "Sexual Authenticity and Character," by Bradford S. Hadaway
- Judith and Jack Balswick, Authentic Human Sexuality: An Integrated Christian Approach
- Marva Dawn, Sexual Character: Beyond Technique to Intimacy
- J. Heinrich Arnold, Freedom from Sinful Thoughts
Study Guides and Lesson Plans (Download the set of six Study Guides)
- "Naked and Not Ashamed"
- "Sex and the City of God"
- "Simpletons, Fools, and Mockers"
- "Habit's Harsh Bondage"
- "Erotic, but not Pornographic"
- "Avoiding Pornography's Mess"
- Chastity issue