The Book of Acts
The Acts of the Apostles is a hidden treasure. John Chrysostom found it to be "replete…with Christian wisdom and sound doctrine" to guide believers.
Acts is thoroughly "missional," Steve Walton notes, for it "is focused on God’s mission, as God draws people into his orbit and brings them into his community." Chad Hartsock adds that Acts "recalls us to a radically selfless gospel whose mission is to reach the ends of the earth…which can be in a land far away, or among the socially marginalized neighbors who live in our shadows every moment."
Luke’s remarkable literary skills support his vision of discipleship. Timothy Churchill shows how recounting Paul’s Damascus road experience three times allows Luke to present the gospel in kernel form and point to the exalted Christ. Timothy Brookins admires the artistry of Paul’s speech in Athens. Andrew Arterbury and Joshua Jipp find important teachings in two of the stranger stories--Eutychus's death-fall and Paul’s shipwreck--by studying their recurring literary themes. Mikeal Parsons traces the themes in Acts not only to Luke’s Gospel, but also to "a plurality of Gospels, which Luke refers to as 'many.'"
The study guides and lesson plans integrate Bible study, prayer, and worship to help us explore Acts as a theological treasure that can shape our discipleship today. The guides can be used in a series or individually. You may download and reproduce them for personal or group use.
- "A Spirituality of Acts," by Steve Walton
- "Reading Acts as a Sequel to the Fourfold Gospel," by Mikeal C. Parsons
- "Paul and the Philosophers," by Timothy A. Brookins
- "A Warning to the Wise: Learning from Eutychus's Mistake," by Andrew E. Arterbury
- "Philanthropy, Hospitality, and Friendship," by Joshua W. Jipp
- "Spreading the Gospel 'To the Ends of the Earth,'" by Heidi J. Hornik, on Raphael's Cartoons (for Tapestries)
Hymn and Worship Service
- Worship Service by Allison Buras
- "As Christ and Church and Congregation" by Terry W. York and C. David Bolin
- "Repetition for a Reason," by Timothy Churchill
- "The Ever-Expanding Gospel," by Chad Hartsock
- Other Voices, Quotations on the book of Acts
- "A Story that Teaches: The Theology of Acts," by Holly Beers
- Darrell L. Bock, A Theology of Luke and Acts: God’s Promised Program, Realized for All Nations
- Luke Timothy Johnson, Prophetic Jesus, Prophetic Church: The Challenge of Luke-Acts to Contemporary Christians
- C. Kavin Rowe, World Upside Down: Reading Acts in the Graeco-Roman Age
- "Studying the Book of Acts," by Kathy Maxwell
- J. Bradley Chance, Acts (Smyth & Helwys Bible Commentary Series)
- Beverly Gaventa, Acts (Abingdon New Testament Commentaries)
- Mikeal C. Parsons, Acts (Paideia: Commentaries on the New Testament)
- Michael Mullins, The Acts of the Apostles